Monday, January 25, 2010

Words

I've been told that Abraham Lincoln, when he was upset with someone would write a letter to them telling them exactly what he thought. Then he would tear it up and write the letter that he would send. It helps to write down what you are feeling. Something about looking at your feelings on the page helps you to process them. It seems that when I am most in the mood to write a letter like this; I shouldn't write anything.
Our words are powerful things, they have the power to build up, and they have the power to tear apart. One of the things that I do, that my older nieces chuckle about now, is that I try to tell them often that they are good girls, and I tell the nephews that they are good boys. And they are, but I think it helps to hear it. Especially as they are becoming young women and young men. One of the things that gives me hope, is seeing the young ones and what they can become.

No comments:

Post a Comment