Monday, August 29, 2011

Coping with Depression . . . The Power of Surrender

Sometimes what compounds our problems is the grip that we have on them. It is so easy to get tied to an idea, or what you thought that God was preparing you for, and then when it doesn't materialize, or worse, becomes something that you never expected; it can become unbearable. This is how it happens, dear ones, and it is not an accident. God is not orchestrating events just for you to experience pain; He is doing the difficult work of bringing you to maturity. Growing up involves pain. I hear people say I would love to go back to this year or that; I wouldn't go back for anything! Not only was it rough enough the first time, but all of the difficulty in my life has made me who I am, and I wouldn't give any of it back.

One of the contributing factors to depression, is a loss of perspective. In other words, the death grip that you have on your problems, could be what has brought you to a stand still. It is more than okay to hurt, and do tell God all about it. You have to take a step back, and realize that there are more things involved that just how you feel. Listen, the loss of contentment that leads to depression, often begins by adopting a narrow view and interpreting events only in terms of me. That's not the way it works, loved one. You do not know what others are thinking, and you do not ultimately know what motivates them to do what they do. While we're on the subject; get rid of absolutes in your estimation of others: no one always nor do they never engage in a particular behavior, nor do you. (I hope that is not the coveted "triple-negative".)

If you are going to find purpose in your trials; then you have got to put things in the proper perspective. First off, God allowed whatever the situation is into your life at this time, and God is right: and that may be what hurts the most about your trial. If God didn't want a situation in your life, an all powerful God could certainly stop it from happening. Secondly, contentment can only be found for the Christian, when they are in fellowship with the will of God. That does not mean holding on to you problems and gritting your teeth, while you say God I surrender all. Fellowship with God's perfect will for your life only comes, when you release the whole situation to God. Now listen to me, loved one, that does not mean you have to understand. That may be what you need to say, "God I release this situation which I can not fix, which I do not understand and which I can not change to Your sovereign will. I surrender. I'm trusting You. I'm asking You to make a way for me to bear this trial." Bless you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment