Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Brother Sankya

I was going to write about Job, but sometimes things change when you sit in front of the blank page. I recently mentioned my friend, Brother Asheervadam Sankya. I had the distinct pleasure of watching him introduce himself all over Texas and in neighboring states. He would tell the story of his father, who was in World War II, and how he was born after his father had returned from war. He would say, "After the war, my father said that God had blessed him with a son, so he named me 'God's blessing.'" Asheervadam means God's blessing. What an awesome gift he gave his son. Think about it; every time he has heard his name, he hears "God's blessing." Even when his father was upset with him, he still heard "God's blessing."

Let me tell you a little bit about the man. He left everything he knew, and his wife and three daughters in India, to go to Texas to prepare for the calling God had placed on his life. He would spend hours on Sunday, and I mean hours, praying in his churches intercessory prayer ministry. Whenever I would tell him of my problems, he would say, "Pray brother, pray." I thought it was his blanket answer for everything, but I know the wisdom of his words now. He spent two years away from his family, and funds were finally raised to bring his family over for his third year in seminary. And in that year he did, through classes and correspondence courses, two years of work for his Bachelor's. Now he is back in India, and God is blessing through "God's blessing." So, the next time you feel like the going is getting too tough, remember God's blessing. Galatians 6:9
God bless you all.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this! Bro. Sankya worked for and spent a lot of time with my grandparents when he was here for seminary and is a very special person to me! I enjoying hearing about all the progress his work is making in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Jenny. You may not believe this, but I just figured out how to post a comment on my own blog. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bryan,
    I was going through my old Christmas Cards and I found a beautiful card that Asheervadam sent to me while he was in Texas. Asheervadam was a very dear friend to my Grandmother. I thought that I would google his name to see how he was doing and your blog came up. I loved reading this story. Thank you! Scotty Mitchell

    ReplyDelete