Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What happened to the Sabbath? Part II

It occurs to me that if I were to mention the ten commandments in reference to the Sabbath, some may immediately say that we are no longer under the law, but under grace. Bare with me, we'll get to that. My question is this: Why is it that most will readily acknowledge that nine of the ten commandments are still valid, but give no thought to the fourth commandment? Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy (in case you're wondering.) So let me ask the question, does the fourth commandment still apply?

You see, this is something that I have seen change in my life time. Even when I was a teenager, people at church had very strong opinions about whether or not it was alright for some one's kid to bag groceries on Sunday. I'm not talking about missing church to bag groceries, I mean it was a hot button issue if a teenager worked at all on Sunday, even if they were able to attend church. If you go back twenty years before that, things were very different. Now, it is perfectly acceptable and even expected that they will miss church if the job requires it. It doesn't even raise an eyebrow. When I was a child, Christians had convictions about the Sabbath, but in this day and time we, to put it flatly, do not have any convictions at all about the Sabbath. And if our grandparents or great-grandparents were right; then we've lost something.

Once again, we'll talk more tomorrow. God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment