Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What happened to the Sabbath?

What is a Sabbath? Many people believe that Sabbath means Saturday. Sabbath means rest, as in on the seventh day God rested. Of course, as Christians, we do not observe a Saturday or seventh day sabbath. It was on the first day of the week that Christ was raised from the dead, so for the Christian the day of worship becomes Sunday. Now, in our culture, even in the most religious of circles, we have people who no longer know whether or not there still is a Sabbath day.

From www.merriam-webster.com we find the following: from Hebrew shabbāth, literally, rest; 1 . . . b : Sunday observed among Christians as a day of rest and worship. Now, from the out set, let me say that I am not building my doctrine from an on-line dictionary, but I would like you to notice how they define "sabbath" for Christians. Sunday observed among Christians as a day of rest and worship. Fewer and fewer of you are aware of what the world was like when I was young. When I was a little boy, I remember my father going all over East Texas preaching on Sunday. What I do not remember as a boy was going out to eat on Sunday, and the reason not solely attributed to the fact the we were poor is: there wasn't anything open. There were actually laws about when a store could and could not be open for business. If you were to go back fifty years before my time, you would see that people were even subject to church discipline for plowing on Sunday. Now in today's time the only examples that we have of any Sabbath observance are Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-A being closed on Sunday. So, what happened to the Sabbath?

I'm sorry to say that this is a bigger topic than I can follow in one blog. We'll talk more tomorrow, God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment