Monday, August 8, 2011

Working under contract . . . Part VII

I've have recently been reading the book "Radical" by David Platt, and let me say that it is a fantastic book and I recommend it to you. I also hear preachers, and I listen to a number of them, describing a radical approach to Christianity. While most of what these brothers say is true; they are not describing "radical" Christianity: they are describing Christianity, the sad fact is that we are so far removed from true Christianity that we find what they teach, incredible! And in saying that, I am not disparaging their work at all. They are teaching about the genuine article, and we should heed that kind of teaching.

Who among us looks to the Bible and doesn't find someone about whom we say, "I want to be like him, or I want to be like her?" Why? Because we find something heroic about them. Let me just ask you, do you want to be some one's hero? Do you want to be the example others point out as good and righteous? Does it happen by some happy accident? Listen to me, it takes no guts at all to be one of the ten who said, even though God has given us this land, we'd rather stay in our tents in the desert rather than risk our lives in following God. Joshua and Caleb said, I don't care what it costs me, it is what God has given us: and I'm going to go and get it. That's heroic! That's the kind of person people point out as an example to follow.

The question that I am putting to you is this: Are you going to go and get what it is that God has for you? Look, you can wait in the market place your whole life waiting for the right deal, and you will have spent your life with no significant accomplishment for God; or you can go to work in the vineyard, with the faith, that the Master of the vineyard will reward you with what is right. You can be some one's hero, not because of the car you had, but because you taught them to pray, or because you knelt with them while they prayed and asked Christ to be their savior. And I unashamedly tell you that my heart's desire is that God would change you, because when He does, He will use you to change all of those around you.

God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment