Tuesday, December 15, 2009

God bless the friend. . .

There is nothing like having a friend that you can always count on. Someone that you can share any problem with. I have enjoyed the blessing of having friends that I could call at two o'clock in the morning, and if need be, we would meet me for coffee and I could share with them what was in my heart. They would share their counsel and pray for me; sometimes they would just be there. Friends like this are a blessing from God. We all need this kind of help from time to time; because even when there is a smile on your face, there can still be sorrow in your heart. The best friends understand this and they know how to just be there. So, as I am prone to do, I will leave you with a poem that talks about that kind of friend.

The Friend Who Just Stands By
by B. Y. Williams

When trouble comes your soul to try
You love the friend who just "stands by."
Perhaps there's nothing he can do-
The thing is strictly up to you;
For there are troubles all your own,
And paths the soul must tread alone;
Times when love cannot smooth the road
Nor friendship lift the heavy load,
But just to know you have a friend
Who will "stand by" until the end,
Whose sympathy through all endures,
Whose warm handclasp is always yours-
It helps, someday, to pull you through,
Although there's nothing he can do,
And so with fervent heart you cry
"God bless the friend who just 'stands by!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment