Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Attitudinal adjustment

If I had started writing this a few minutes ago, it wouldn't have been near as up beat. Sometimes I think about all the things that are going on in my life and to be honest, I get too focused on what is going on with me. I couldn't help but notice that none of my thoughts were that cheery today. Thankfully, I started thinking before I started writing; I know you would hope that it is that way every time, but it's not. I began to think about the words of the apostle Paul, in closing his letter to the Philippians. He said to think on things that have virtue and things that are praise worthy. Well, I did. Within a matter of minutes, I was smiling. I stopped thinking about things I couldn't help anyway, and started thinking about the blessings God has given me. We all need an attitude adjustment now and again. So in closing, I will leave you a poem from Ella Wheeler Wilcox and pray that you are thinking about good things today.

One ship drives east, and another west
With the self-same winds that blow;
'Tis the set of the sails
And not the gales
That decides the way to go.

Like the winds of the sea are the ways of fate,
As they voyage along through life;
'Tis the will of the soul
That decides its goal,
And not the calm or the strife.

No comments:

Post a Comment