Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Importance of Writing Letters

You probably know that in my last post, I stated the need to go to India (if not you can read about it in my last post, A new direction). I recently received an email from Brother Sankya, and he told me that is not a good time to visit, because of riots and turmoil in Hyderabad; and as a foreigner in India, he didn't think it would be safe for me. I still very much want to go, and I am also praying that the Lord will open up the opportunity: and I hope that you will pray with me. Now with all of that being said, I will move on to today's post.

We have all experienced that some days are just particularly hard, and many times in ways that aren't easily defined. Today started this way. On my better days, I get up read the Bible and pray, before I do anything else; and on days when I leave the house not having done so, I'm in for a rough ride. I could feel the pressure mounting as I made my way across town to cross things off of my to-do list. In short, I left the house without my armor on, and I was steadily paying for it. But, it all changed for me when I checked the mail.

If you have known me for a long time, you know that my strength is not sending cards and letters, in fact, it is a particular weakness. It certainly isn't, that I don't often think of loved ones far and near. It has been a failing on my part, to do something simple that people the world over have done for centuries: namely to write a letter, put it in an envelope, put a stamp on it and drop it in the box. There is a value in that simple task, that I am learning. You see, I am trying to mend my ways.

In a short time today, I was almost paralyzed by the troubles in my life; until I went to the mailbox. I found five letters in my box, and that is when my day changed. Those letters from fellow Christians refreshed my heart. I couldn't wait to read them all, and in no time my problems had greatly diminished in size. Now as to the importance of writing letters; I received those letters, because a week or two earlier I had sent letters. My point in all of this, is that we all need to encourage one another. So, if you need encouragement, take out a pen and a piece of paper, and encourage someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment