Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Shall I give what costs me nothing?

It seems any more that giving lacks the real act of giving. More and more we act as clearinghouses, and we think ourselves great givers. There is a principle I want you to get: giving is taking from your pile and giving it to another. Now, if you have your pile and then collect from others and create an auxiliary pile and give from the auxiliary pile, you haven't given anything. There is a cost associated with giving.

The Lord told David through Gad to go and build an altar on Araunah's threshing floor. Araunah offered David the floor, oxen and everything he needed for the sacrifice. But David said, "I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing." He bought all of it, and then he offered to the Lord. Do we say that? I will not offer to the Lord what costs me nothing.

What would it look like, if we all gave like David? Not only to offer from what we have, but to make that a requirement of whatever we give. True giving is giving the best, because it does cost. Look at every commandment to give, and find me one instance where it is alright to give less than the best one has. You won't find it, because our giving reflects on the God we serve, and His gifts are perfect. When our hearts are right before God, there won't be a lack of giving; furthermore, it won't be giving that cost me nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment