Friday, December 24, 2010

My Christmas blog


So it’s Christmas time. I usually share my thoughts, an occasional link and that is about it. You may or may not know that I like to take pictures. This year I am giving almost everyone the same picture. I took a couple of pictures with particular people in mind, but for the most part, I took pictures I wanted to take. For this year, this one is my favorite. Two little children playing at the beach. I watched them go back and forth, chasing the receding wave and then running away from the incoming wave. Since a picture is worth a thousand words I won’t continue to describe it.

The thing about photography that captivates me is the fact that you are freezing one moment in time. There is a technical aspect that generously feeds the nerd in me. There is always a desire to get it right, in both the technical and substantive aspects. The crossing of those paths in one single moment in time and the photographer’s inability to capture it, are what constitute the “missed shot.” But then there is Photoshop, to fix whatever ails your picture.

If you are attentive to details, you will notice that there are a few spots on this picture. Right to left: blue, purple, a lighter purple and just above that a light colored blotch. It’s called lens flare; not technically perfect. It is flawed. So why didn't I fix it? There is a day attached to that particular photograph. One of those wonderful days when the Father does for you so clearly, what you can not do for yourself. And at the end of this day as I looked back toward the setting sun, this is what I saw, this beautiful moment. Children playing at the edge of one of God’s great wonders.

So what of the flaws I did not fix? The flaws are what make this picture mine. God bless you all and have a Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment