Friday, April 9, 2010

The Abbreviation of Worship and Why We No Longer Sing the Third Verse Part III

So, let's get to what we have been missing. Here are some of the third verses that we have been leaving out of our worship:

My sin -- O the bliss of this glorious thought --
My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more:
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
"It Is Well with My Soul"

And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in--
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin!
"How Great Thou Art!"

His brow was pierced with many a thorn,
His hands by cruel nails were torn,
When from my guilt and grief, forlorn,
In love He lifted me.
"He Lifted Me"

In the old rugged cross,
stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see;
For 'twas on that old cross
Jesus suffered and died
To pardon and sanctify me.
"The Old Rugged Cross"

O the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer and with Thee, my God,
I commune as friend with friend.
"I Am Thine, O Lord"

I have to ask: Do we really want to quit singing these verses for any reason? I have spent the afternoon with old friends, that I would like to visit more often. Everyone of these verses touch my heart; because it is in the singing these verses, that we plumb the depths of our Savior's love. When we really think about the love of God shown to us in Christ; doesn't make you want to sing all the more? And to close, I give you this chorus, God bless you all.

How marvelous! How wonderful! And my song shall ever be:
How marvelous! How wonderful is my Savior's love for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment