Friday, August 7, 2009

Facing a blank page. . .

Facing a blank page on a frequent basis, forces me to think of something to put on it. Sometimes it's good and sometimes, not so much. It's an exercise, to make me a better writer. If you have been following this blog, you know that getting better is a recurring theme. Something that I have observed in my adult life, is the relationship between work and gettting better. They are inseperable. Obviously, I could go on and apply this to football, a game that I love; but I am going to apply it to being a Christian, which is of the most importance to me.

I broke down once in Alabama (I had a very short career as an over-the-road truck driver.) I could tell by his conversation, that the man who owned the repair shop was a Christian. We got to talk for a little while, and he asked about my background. After telling him what religion I was, he asked me pointedly, "Are you a Christian?" The point he was making: there are plenty of people who attend church, but not near as many Christians. You see, to be called a Christian: you must be like Christ. In other words it means that your conversation and behavior reflect that you have a relationship with Christ.

So, when my page is filled up, can you call me a better writer? Maybe. When my day is filled up, can you call me a better Christian? I certainly hope so. Paul put it this way, "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Paul, whose pen gave us most of the New Testament, in his own estimation, was not "there" yet. His goal was reaching forward to be better for his Lord. So as I search for wrapping paper and ribbon; Anyone who wants to be better for their Lord, will, of certainty, put in the work to be better for their Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment