Monday, August 3, 2009

Less than perfect. . .

As I start this blog for the sixth time, I realize that I don't have to be completely perfect; I want to be, but I don't have to be perfect. On good days I am more lenient, and on bad days I torture myself over the pursuit of perfection. I think that ultimately, trying is all that I really have. I mean you could place your possessions on the score card, but what if you end up like Job and lose everything that you have. I really like to see people try. They may or may not succeed, but you can gauge the person by how hard they try. I once heard Peter Sirmon (former line-backer for the Tennessee Titans) talk about the man that scouted him for the NFL; he said that this scout wanted to see the person he was scouting in a losing game. You see, the scout could more easily see what kind of player he was, based on how he performed in a game that was being lost. Obviously, he was looking for someone who never quit, regardless of the outcome of the game. The good news for all Christians is that one day we will be perfect. Until that day comes, I want to be somebody who tries.

No comments:

Post a Comment