Friday, September 9, 2011

Give and it shall be given . . .

Give and it shall be given to you; I've heard that often, but I'm not sure I ever really understood it, especially the part about "good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over." I finally began to comprehend this when I came across what Matthew Poole had to say about it:

Nothing can more concur to make good measure, than the shaking of the bushel, the crowding and pressing down of the corn or meal with the hand, and the pouring in till the measure runneth over.

If we all grew up in an agrarian society, we would immediately understand this concept, but for many today, if they were given a bushel of anything, they wouldn't know what to do with it. If my sister-in-law were given a bushel of tomatoes, she would probably can them; if I were given a bushel of tomatoes, I'd be eating a tomato or two with every meal, including breakfast, until they were gone or spoiled. But, I digress, the point is the concept of a bushel basket filled with grain. It is one thing to get a bushel basket that grain has been scooped or poured; it is quite another to get a bushel basket that has been shaken, so that there are no air pockets, pressed down or compacted so that it increases in weight, and then running over the top, so that the container literally holds all that is possible. How does that sound for a blessing?

I once worked with a young man that told me he had to pay his tithes, so that his sales would be good. That expresses the attitude of so many, I'll be happy to give, so long as I get. Said or unsaid, that's why many give: at least this young man was honest about it. Everybody likes the idea of taking home a packed bushel, but how many of us like to send others away with a full and overflowing bushel. I hope that you get that I am talking about more that bushel baskets. Lord, I've put in twenty whole dollars, now open the floodgates and pour out a blessing that I can't contain.

Do you give that way, or do you pack the bushel? But wait, I want to hear more about the way God gives. Listen, God isn't honored by those who only use Him as a means to the end of getting what they want. Let me revisit the previous example, what if you gave one of your friends twenty bucks, how long do you think they would put up with you acting like they owed you, big. After about five minutes they would say, "Here's your twenty bucks back, jerk." Look, if people can see the intent of your heart that easily, how much do you think that you can hide from the One who created you?

This is what I am trying to get across to you; God is not weighing grain, He is weighing what is in your heart. He said, "Prove Me," not, wait till I start giving to you and then you start giving back to me. God measures what is in your heart, the very same way that you measure what is in the basket. Think about the widow with her two mite offering. She gave, in common language, what she was going to eat on. She stared down the decision to meet her physical need or give to the Lord; and she decided to go with out, so that she could give an offering to God. Let me tell you what happened in the spiritual realm; she packed that basket so full, it started to burst, and she was honored for all time by Christ. When you give to God that way, He will honor you too. Bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment