Monday, May 2, 2011

Perspective

I remember when I was a young man, truthfully still a boy, about 18 or 19. I got into an argument with my father. There was a report on the news, about a murderer who had been executed. His crimes were particularly heinous, so when I saw the report, I exclaimed, "Good!" My father got on to me, and then I remember saying, "I'm glad that he's dead." He told me to in no uncertain terms to close my mouth, because I did not know what I was saying. He then explained to me that there is no cause for rejoicing at the death of an unrepentant sinner. My father was right.

"Justice has been done," that is what the President said. What the Christian should understand is this: justice has just begun. A man went out into eternity with out Christ, and he will answer for everyone of the evil deeds he committed. There is nothing that we could ever do, that would remotely compare to what the One Who can destroy the soul can do in dispensing justice. A man stands before his Maker, with nothing but evil to show for his time on earth.

Where is the cause for rejoicing? Is it in the crimes he committed that made him such a hated man? Is it in the sorrow that he caused to millions? Was it in the lives that were lost in pursuit of bringing him to justice? Can you even hear his name, without recalling the sorrow he caused us? He was a miserable murderous fiend, with nothing to show for his existence. There was no cause for joy from his life, and it is nothing but a miserable shame that we had to expend our resources to end his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment